I didn’t realize I had a coffee addiction till I saw it all laid out on the table at my yard sale last weekend. Just how many different coffee pots can one person have? Apparently, lots because there they were ready to be sold to the highest bidder.
I was never a coffee drinker until after my second child. Our children are eighteen months apart and their infant months are a complete sleepless blur. I never even thought about drinking coffee until my father-in-law came to visit shortly after the birth of our second child. He loves instant coffee; some International Coffee sugary stuff that makes me teeth even hurt thinking about. When it was time for him to return home to Arizona we realized I had bought too many cans of the International Coffee, we had probably three extra. It was shortly after 9-11 and powder in a tin can was a big no, no. My father-in-law is the “king of frugal” and he hated leaving the stuff. I promised to give it a try and if I didn’t like it I would leave it in the fridge until he returned.
Funny how other’s cheapness can seem so weird but mine seems so normal to me. He saves tin foil, rinses out plastic sandwiches bags and reuses them, saves the cotton in pill bottles, the list goes on and on. He is extreme frugal but he also grew up in the Great Depression and truly knows what it is like to be hungry, suffering, and poor.
I can only imagine how wasteful day-to-day living must look to him. In our house, I am the saver and my husband is the spender but when my father-in-law is in the house, frugal rules!
I tried the International Coffee shortly after he left. I went from a tired mommy of two infants to a tired mommy with a little coffee edge! The stuff was amazing but very sugary. I decided to buy a cheap $10.00 coffee maker; it was red with a glass decanter. I used the International Coffee as a creamer to spruce up the coffee a bit. That red coffee maker didn’t last long it was cheap and the glass on the decanter was really thin. I cracked it in the sink washing it several months after buying it.
I upgraded the coffee maker to a $20.00 one but the decanter was still glass. After having the coffee maker for about a year the glass around the lip of the decanter broke and I sliced the very tip of my thumb off. I remember standing at the sink cleaning dishes while hearing my toddlers play in the background, next minute the sink was filled with my blood. I called my neighbor next door, thank God she was home, and told her I was about to faint. She ran over to find two crying toddlers and me with my hand wrapped in towels lying on the bathroom floor. My neighbor was awesome, still is awesome, she took me to the emergency room, and from that day on I swore off glass decanters. (My thumb is fine now I just don’t have feeling in the very tip.)
I didn’t want to spend the money on a coffee pot with a stainless steel decanter because they are so expensive so I started drinking instant Folgers coffee. The stuff wasn’t my favorite but it was the safest.
I found a coffee pot on sale with two stainless steel travel mugs that made two separate cups of coffee on each side. I liked it a lot at first but you really had to use the travel mugs to make the coffee and the travel mugs irritated me to drink from. I wasn’t going anywhere, I was at home with the kids and I didn’t need that reminder from my travel mugs. Nothing worse than the feeling that your coffee is mocking you!
I shared my story of my mean mocking coffee pot with my husband. I am sure it sounded pitiful because the next day he surprised me a large Mr. Coffee, coffee maker with a stainless steel decanter.
Then this year for my birthday my mom bought me a Keurig coffee maker. I love the thing, it is by far the safest coffee pot I have had and the easiest. However, the coffee can get a little pricey. I purchase my coffee at this little coffee shop that sells individual k-cups. You get 24 flavors of your choice for 12.95. I only buy the dark roasted coffee and then I use each one twice (right after one another I don’t let the k-cup sit around). Each cup of coffee costs me about .27 cents.
I am not sure what my father-in-law will say if he comes to visit, .27 cents for a cup of coffee will seem outrageous and I know that he will refuse to drink it. Instead, he will boil his water in a teakettle on my stove and use his instant International Coffee. Or he will try it once and be as completed hooked on it as I am.
Some of us need coffee to get our work done, others of us work to make money for our coffee addiction. I think I might officially be the latter. I live on a budget but coffee money has its own column.
Sarah Forhan
New Banquet Fruit Pies - Giveaway
Search This Blog
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Disclaimer
Sarah Forhan Enterprises & "Mommy are the toys on sale?" cannot accept any responsibility for any injury or damage that you may cause to yourself, others, or property when following any advice given on this site.
My goal is print only valuable information and advice. If you find any information on "Mommy are the toys on sale?" that is either erroneous and/or potentially harmful to others please contact me immediately.
For all inquiries and questions please contact Sarah Forhan at: sarahforhan@sarahforhan.com or customerservice@sarahforhan.com
My goal is print only valuable information and advice. If you find any information on "Mommy are the toys on sale?" that is either erroneous and/or potentially harmful to others please contact me immediately.
For all inquiries and questions please contact Sarah Forhan at: sarahforhan@sarahforhan.com or customerservice@sarahforhan.com
7 comments:
I'm not a coffee drinker, but Hubby is and get the Keurig as a Christmas gift last year. He loves it and you're right, it is very simple to use, which is certainly an added perk. Oh, and there's no coffee pot to clean out!
We usually buy the K-cups at Kohl's when we have a good coupon or at Bed, Bath & Beyond with one of their coupons. Bonus if they are on sale at that time!
Mary I am so envious my local Kohl's doesn't carry the k-cups only the Keurig Machines. I have bought them at Bed, Bath, and Beyond, with one of those 20% off coupons. I am so spoiled though I love being able to pick out 24 individual flavors!
I beleive that coffee is the elixer of life.
I'm not sure about where you live, but here in Edmonton, we can buy an individual K cup that you make your own coffee in. It's about $18 here. The Keurig is on my wish list. I've almost got hubby talked into it ;)
Stacy
btw it's called the my k-cup. You can buy it off the Keurig site, but it's supposed to be available at most larger stores that sell the Keurig.
Scrap N'Play I have seen the individual k-cups that you place the ground coffee in. Funny, I actually saw them at Kohl's and was thinking of using a coupon I had to buy one. The only thing that stopped me from buying it was a friend bought one and said it was a pain to use. Might have to give it a try, though.
Hi! Thanks for following SAPsMaMa (http://sapsmama.blogspot.com/) on Friday Follow! I know it's been awhile since you followed me but it's been crazy at SAPsMaMa's!
So come check us out again! Do you cloth diaper? Then be sure to enter our awesome giveaway for the great LoveyBums Hand Painted Organic Fitted Cloth Diaper! Not a parent? You can still check out the CSN Stores $40 Gift Certificate Giveaway coming up! Get your pre-entries now!
Thanks again for the follow and have a wonderful end of the week! :
SAPsMaMa
http://sapsmama.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment